Right-click to Add Solution
This is all thanks to Spencer Harbar's post on a Registry edit called: Right-click a .WSP to Add Solution.
- open notepad
- copy the code from Spencer's blog post (linked above). Change the 12 in the [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wspfile\shell\Add Solution\command] to 14.
- save as a .reg file
- open regedit
- import the file
14-Hive Environment Variable
Create a Windows Environment Variable for the 14 folder. I've been doing this since SharePoint 2003, but it makes things much easier. Instructions...
- Right-click Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables
- Click New
- Set Name to "14" and Value to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\14"
- Click all the Ok buttons.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to %14%
Visually Upgrading Publishing Sites
Ran into an issue where I was getting a "One or more field types are not installed properly" error. Come to find out (in my case) that the hidden list "Relationship List" has a different field than in 2007 and it isn't added on migration or visual upgrade.
TechNet found the answer. I'm 95% tested on it, but looks like the answer.
Rollback Visual upgrade
Found out there is a way through code or PowerShell to do a visual upgrade rollback. Thankfully it exists because my dev environment had hard-coded links to production, so I accidentally upgraded there. Thanks to Dirk Van den Berghe for the post.